How to sound like a native speaker?
- 5 years ago
Languages have different accents. Differences in accents are only pronunciation differences.
Pronunciation affects how native speakers comprehend the speech being at the forefront of well-spoken English.
A fun and effective way to build your new muscle memory is to learn the right pronunciation of the tongue-twisters:
- Listen carefully to the video;
- Pay attention to how each word sounds;
- Repeat after the speaker slowly;
- Learn how to say it faster!
- Learn by heart and repeat trying to imitate the pronunciation.
- Peter Piper: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUJlokD_daE
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers;
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked;
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
- Theophilus Thadeus Thistledown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q48bG4EznXM
Theophilus Thadeus Thistledown, the successful thistle-sifter, while sifting a sieve-full of unsifted thistles, thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb. Now, if Theophilus Thadeus Thistledown, the succesful thistle-sifter, thrust three thousand thistles through the thick of his thumb, see that thou, while sifting a sieve-full of unsifted thistles, thrust not three thousand thistles through the thick of thy thumb.
- Woodchuck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DomQR9wIArs
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
He would chuck, he would, as much as he could,
and chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would
if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
- She Sells Sea Shells by the Seashore: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJJ1Tpm9Dg
She sells sea shells by the sea shore.
The shells she sells are surely seashells.
So if she sells shells on the seashore,
I’m sure she sells seashore shells.
MIT researchers claim they've created the hardest tongue twister ever:
There are useful online tools for developing English pronunciation skills. See the most popular ones below:
The English Accent Coach: http://www.englishaccentcoach.com/;
English Pronunciation Podcast: http://www.englishpronunciationpod.com/;
ABA's Jawbreakers offer educational videos on how to pronounce different words: